Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Senior Engineer, Mechanical Engineering in Hicksville, NY
• Perform technical investigations and administrative tasks related to power plant operation and maintenance.
• Analyze, identify and take appropriate actions to correct unsatisfactory system and plant conditions and to improve plant performance.
• Supervise the maintenance, planning, and testing activities associated with a variety of electrical equipment including, but not limited to: circuit breakers, electrical switchgear, transformers, electrical buss, electrical cables, batteries, cathodic protection, metering, motors, generators, and generator/transformer/motor protective relaying.
• Provide leadership and supervision, as needed, to various size crews in the maintenance, repair, modification, or installation of all types of electrical, mechanical, metering, relay, and battery equipment.
• Supervise relay technicians in the application of new relay settings.
• Ensure compliance with applicable NERC standards, primarily PRC 005-6, for relays and batteries by managing the preventative maintenance schedules, reporting requirements, and document retention.
• Manage a custom protective relay database and its integration with the Maximo Asset Management software.
• Utilize Maximo to manage the Preventative Maintenance program for protective relays, transformers, and breakers.
• Work with the TRS Supervisor and Manager to plan outage work scopes. Summarize work scopes and provide status updates at outage meetings.
• Work with the Relay Engineer in evaluating new protective relays and control schemes.
• Review system one-line electrical diagrams and relay functional diagrams to develop appropriate Lock Out Tag Out protection for relay and transformer testing. Work with Operations to execute Lock Out Tag Out plan.
• Establish relationships with vendors to facilitate the efficient and timely procurement of material and/or tooling.
• Supervise contractors in the performance of electrical work, primarily transformer maintenance and testing. Review contractor’s installation work at power station sites.
• Provide commissioning and troubleshooting support at any of the power station sites.
• Participate in weekly and monthly departmental safety meetings. Conduct monthly safety assessments.
• This successful candidate will need to respond to emergency conditions that may occur outside of normal business hours.
• General knowledge in areas of thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electricity and related disciplines is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related science is required with a minimum of two years related experience (power plant systems and maintenance experience preferred).
• Experience with renewable energy systems preferred (Battery Energy Storage Systems, Solar Photovoltaics, Wind)
• Ability to read electrical schematics including, but not limited to: elementary diagrams, control wiring diagrams, one-line diagrams, three-line diagrams, etc…
• Strong proficiency in the use of computer programs including Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Maximo required. Experience with the Microsoft Power Platform (PowerApps, Power BI) preferred but not required.
• Programming skills utilizing Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), Python, C/C++/C#, or equivalent preferred but not required.
• Understanding of relational databases (Access and SQL) preferred but not required.
• Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal and computer skills. The position will require participating in presentations.
• This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
• A valid New York State driver’s license. The position will require traveling to various power plant sites across Long island.
$111,000 - $130,000 a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.