Job Description: Chemicals Research Analyst
The Locations: London
The Chemical Insights team is growing as it builds market intelligence and insight across the commodity chemicals sector. This team is in constant dialogue with the industry to understand market dynamics and create market outlooks for key petrochemicals. This team connects with groups across S&P Global to understand linkages across the industry, from upstream energy cost impacts to circularity influences and macroeconomic drivers of demand. We interact with associations, producers, consumers, traders, and transportation providers, engaging with individuals up to and including board level executives.
This role will support regional and global teams in generating chemical market intelligence. There is a short and long-term cadence of market coverage and activities which will include:
- Analysis of chemical value chain market trends
- Collating industry statistics and internal data to provide market insights
- Regular update of supply/demand balances, trade flows, operating schedules and price forecasts
- Research into emerging markets, plants and technologies
- Modelling and supporting the transformation of data
What’s in it for you:
This person will join a dynamic and internationally-orientated research team of experienced individuals with varied industrial experience. The analyst role will support the continued building of chemical expertise which will provide exposure to a wide range of petrochemical products, markets, technologies and industries.
The role provides the opportunity to work alongside other skilled analysts, helping to form a consistent and comprehensive view of the global chemical and plastics markets. Additionally, they will have the opportunity to improve their analytical skills and knowledge by interacting with other commodities teams, and groups within the wider S&P Global organization.
The successful candidate joins at a time of unprecedented change within the industry, with climate change and plastic waste gaining ever-increasing importance in reporting and decision-making. The role provides opportunity to be at the forefront of this fast-changing landscape and help influence the way the industry navigates through the energy transition.
The team is looking to leverage S&P Global’s wider expertise and experience in emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. The right candidate will be able to gain early exposure to this, and influence the role that these technologies play in revolutionising the ways that we gather and deliver market intelligence.
- Perform modelling and analysis activities to develop and improve existing analytical models
- Conduct research into areas such as technology, energy transition and plastics recycling, identifying new data sources and statistical analysis of results
- Support subject matter experts in the development and maintenance of supply/demand balances, trade flows, and price forecasts
- Prepare presentations and develop presentation skills to engage with clients
- Work closely with other individuals and teams to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information and publications to clients
- Respond to client requests for data and analysis
What We’re Looking For:
- Recent graduate or up to 5 years' industry experience in commodity markets with previous experience analysing petrochemical markets a plus
- BA/BS or MS in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Economics, Finance, Business or other numerate discipline with equivalent experience within the chemical industry also considered
- This role is data-heavy to begin with so ability to manipulate and present data is essential. Expert status in Microsoft Office and advanced Excel essential, with a working knowledge of Power BI/Tableau, SQL and/or Python a positive
- Strong data manipulation, modelling and analytical skills, with keen attention to detail
- Persistence, with a natural curiosity about energy, chemical markets and circularity
- Well-rounded communication skills with good listening techniques, a concise writing style and strong verbal skills
- The ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally
- Flexibility to work in a global team environment, spanning multiple time-zones, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team to meet our objectives
- Adept at managing multiple tasks for different stakeholders and adhering to regular deadlines, with the ability to adjust individual priorities based upon team goals
About S&P Global Commodity Insights
At S&P Global Commodity Insights, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We’re the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Commodity Insights coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Commodity Insights is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence.
Equal Opportunity Employer
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), RESECH202.1 - Middle Professional Tier I (EEO Job Group), SWP Priority – Ratings - (Strategic Workforce Planning)Job ID:
London, London, United Kingdom