- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Candidates will typically have 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role; overseeing projects, with 2 years of experience in a people management, supervision/team leadership role.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience working in a complex, matrixed organization.
- Experience in designing, building, and debugging distributed systems.
- Experience mentoring and teaching team members.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills.
- Excellent cross-functional and cross-organizational communication and collaboration skills.
About the job
Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer goes beyond just Search. Software Engineering Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of Engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure Engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a Software Engineering Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. Teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
With technical and leadership expertise, you manage engineers across multiple teams and locations, a large product budget and oversee the deployment of large-scale projects across multiple sites internationally.
As an Engineering Manager, you will help organize and make health and fitness data accessible and useful to enable data-driven innovation at Fitbit.
In this role, you will lead a team responsible for keeping the current Fitbit Google Cloud platform infrastructure running, whilst building a version of the entire system in borg. We are the foundational building block for all Health features at Google.
Fitbit’s wide range of innovative products, including smartwatches, trackers, and a smart scale, help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration, and guidance to reach their health and fitness goals. Coupled with our leading software and Fitbit Premium, our immersive platform experience delivers personalized experiences, insights, and guidance to support our users’ health and wellness. Fitbit’s mission has always been to help make everyone in the world healthier and now, as part of Google we’ll be able to make health even more accessible to everyone.
- Develop solutions for the Fitbit data store with broad impact in health and devices.
- Build out the Borg stack as we migrate from Google Cloud platform in earnest, while delivering key data components for our product roadmap.
- Help build new ways of doing things, as our products become smarter and we leverage AI/ML models in our offerings.
- Cultivate the talented London team's interests, impact, and career growth.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy
and EEO is the Law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form