BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 10 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
BAE Systems DI Laboratories is seeking to recruit researchers to join our rapidly expanding Data and Information Processing Capability. We are looking for candidates who are adaptable, enthusiastic and highly motivated. You should have existing skills in Machine Learning (ML) and/or statistical signal processing and will need to be a proficient programmer in Python, with extensive experience in the use of libraries and toolboxes to support efficient development. The right candidate will join our Advanced Information Processing (AIP) team, specialising in developing novel inference algorithms and the application of AI/ML to time series data. You will have the opportunity to deliver a wide range of data science research topics for customers across the space, defence, security and commercial sectors as well as into our internal BAE Systems programmes. You will also have the opportunity to maintain strong links with academic partners and to grow technical research areas of interest to yourself.
The Data and Information Processing Capability has a diverse range of teams working in: reinforcement learning, NLP, knowledge graphs and graph-based neural nets, AI for RF and EW, radar, sonar, acoustics, image analysis and computer vision. You will have the opportunity to work with these colleagues in multi-disciplinary teams. Candidates will also have the opportunity to mix technical challenges with customer-facing and project support tasks.
In addition to a solid academic background and excellent written and verbal communication skills, we are particularly interested in candidates with experience in applying AI/ML and developing state-of-the-art inference algorithms in disciplines such as autonomy, object tracking, sensor data fusion, PNT, RF/EW, radar, acoustic processing, human machine teaming, smart manufacturing and others. Typical Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Lead technical delivery of projects. Prepare and deliver technical reports, technical proposals and supporting material
- Lead novel research in given topic areas, often in partnership with leading UK Universities
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept demonstrators
- Take ownership of tasks in projects and deliver to challenging standards
- Work effectively both on self-directed projects and as part of a project team
- Effectively present results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Undertake mentoring of junior staff working on similar research topics
- Several years of expertise in the application of AI/ML and/or statistical signal processing to time series data. You will probably have a PhD or equivalent in a relevant discipline. Of particular interest are candidates with experience in one or more of the following domains:
- Tracking and sensor data fusion
- RF comms
- Positioning, navigation, and timing
- Electronic Warfare
- Pattern of life analytics
- Human machine teaming
- Acoustic processing (including sonar)
- Experience in software development for proof of concept in Python is essential
- Experience with machine and deep learning frameworks: TensorFlow, Pytorch, scikit-learn, etc. is desirable
- Current right to work in the UK is essential
- Evidence of recent publication in relevant journals and conferences is highly advantageous
- Appetite for working in a secure environment is desirable but not essential
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearanceLife at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.