Join National Grid’s digital transformation! We are digital creators, continuous learners and daring innovators. We leverage digital innovative ways to create products and catalyze the transformation of National Grid's business units into more agile and digitally native organizations in our shared purpose of bringing energy to life. Come and join us on this incredible journey, We need you!
We want to find a collaborative, hands-on Lead Data Engineer for our Digital Platform Data Engineering Team who will be responsible for designing sound, scalable, and performant solutions that meet the requirements in a large data volume enterprise, and leading the teams responsible for implementation. Solutions and design trade-offs are communicated to business and technical stakeholders for effective decision-making.
If you yearn to be innovative, contribute new ideas, and play a critical part in the US IT Global Solutions Delivery organization, we want to hear from you!
What you'll do
As a Lead Data Engineer, you'll work on a major IT initiative to enable National Grid Business Partners by improving how our employees serve our customers today and by creating the platform for tomorrow’s growth. Key responsibilities include the following:
- Perform and collaborate on system designs, data solution development including data migration and extracts from multiple legacy systems
- Provide day-to-day supervision and leadership of engineering team(s) responsible for implementation.
- Update data mappings and data catalogs
- Participate in, and/or lead, design and pre-deployment reviews
- Data profiling
- Design and development of data synchronization processes
- Participate in the design/development of SaaS solutions, including data modeling
- Assist in determining the cross-application data standards, data distribution standards and promote data-driven design
- Create database deliverables ensuring quality and traceability to requirements and adherence to all quality management plans and governance standards
- Work with the team to ensure that all components work together to meet objectives and performance goals as defined in the requirements. Identify and communicate any cross-area or cross-release issues that may affect other areas of the project
- Participate in go-live preparation activities such as QA, dress rehearsals, issue remediation, cutover and go-live aftercare
- Participate in data management maturity assessments to identify gaps and pain points for capabilities including data quality, governance, analytics, metadata management, master data management
- Seek opportunities for continuous improvement in processes, procedures and systems with regards to data
What you'll need
- 5+ years’ experience in database development (Snowflake, SQLServer, Oracle, etc)
- Experience in data mapping, modeling and working with teams to define data models
- Experience in a dynamic work environment
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment, and be capable of building and maintaining positive relationships with other staff, departments, and customers
- Strong communication skills
It would be awesome if you had
- Experience with cloud database architecture
- Experience with Snowflake
- Experience with Matillion
- Experience with real-time data loads
- Experience with Agile/Lean software development process and practices
- Experience in with SaaS solutions such as Salesforce, ESRI and Workforce
- Good team leadership and influencing skills for colleagues, partners / vendors; project sponsors
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams, subject matter experts, and architects
What you'll get
- Consistent growth potential through company leadership programs
- Competitive compensation package including robust benefits with a yearly bonus
- Numerous wellness programs
- A multitude of company-endorsed community programs to participate in
Are you the right fit for this exciting role? You want to learn more about the position and National Grid's ambitious Digital Transformation? Then let's chat!
Our organization follows a hybrid work structure in our service territory (NY & MA and adjacent states) where employees can work remotely or from the office, as needed. Working from the office is encouraged when working on tasks that require a high degree of collaboration. We work with our employees to foster a work schedule that fits your flexible schedule.
At National Grid, we keep the lights on and homes warm. But it’s so much more than that. We keep people connected and society moving. This is no easy feat, and it takes all of us. But National Grid supplies us with the environment to make it happen. As we generate momentum in the energy transition for all, we don’t plan on leaving any of our customers in the dark. But we aren’t looking for external recognition – we already what we do is vital. We’re building a clean, fair and affordable energy future.
$139,000 - $156,000 a year
Please be advised that due to the nature of this position, incumbents are subject to federal Drug & Alcohol safety regulations governing US Department of Transportation ("DOT") covered positions, including the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Pipeline Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA). As such, the Company’s testing programs and policies regarding the use of federally prohibited drugs or alcohol, for recreational or medical purposes, will remain in effect for these safety-sensitive, DOT covered positions.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.