- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Typically 5 years of experience with software development in Java, and with data structures/algorithms.
- Typically 3 years of experience testing, maintaining, or launching software products, and 1 year of experience with software design and architecture.
- Experience in building Android application libraries and frameworks.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- Experience in developing accessible technologies.
- Experience with system design on Android and/or other operating systems.
- Experience with audio and video editing, media processing, transcoding, playback, graphics, or OpenGL.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
The Android Media Solutions team works on a range of developer-facing APIs, including media editing and media transfer/routing APIs. In this role, you will contribute across the stack, from high-level API design to low-level media processing, and will be working with the wider Android media team. This role provides the opportunity to make life easier for app developers who are using Android's media APIs, as well as having an impact on a core use case for billions of end users.
Google is an engineering company at heart. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on users around the world. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, social to local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Make direct technical contributions (e.g., designing and implementing media processing and composition, dealing with HDR image/video content, measuring and optimizing throughput and quality).
- Review design and code contributions, mentoring peers and providing technical leadership.
- Collaborate with Google and third-party app developers, and the open source community to support integrations of our libraries.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy
and EEO is the Law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form