BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
We are growing our team to deliver value added processing upon space-based RF sensor data using signal processing, machine learning and geolocation techniques.
An experimental cluster of satellites is being developed and the enhanced services team will be exploiting this as follows:
- Definition and development of concept demonstrators that provide a tangible illustration of transformational benefits to defence and commercial customers. Technical activities will range from R&D - research and modelling with respect to validating and specifying the concepts, through to implementation of end to end trials and demonstrator applications.
- Definition and development of capability that will provide a technical foundation for the concept demonstrators. In particular, specification, and implementation of development infrastructure, and exploitation of scalable cloud based ground processing and system and on-board, in-orbit processors.
- Participate across the wider programme, in particular subject matter expertise and requirements that influence CONOPs and architecture, and derisks integration with the core mission services.
The Enhanced Services team will be addressing RF use cases using software defined radio techniques. Personnel are based out of our south east offices (Great Baddow, Guildford and London).
The team will have coverage of the development skills that follow in order to deliver the R&D and Implementation aspects.
In addition to these skills there will be other supporting roles for product ownership, solution architecture and project management.Role Profile
We are recruiting primarily for Lead RF Software Engineer
for the RF sensing activities.
The lead software engineer will:
- Make, Record and Justify key technical decisions with regard to implementation approach
- Provide a key technical interface, providing subject matter expertise and reporting to the project
- Oversee research and software engineering activities for RF Sensing activities.
- Decompose requirements into modular components/functions that may be delivered from a backlog
- Provide technical support and direction to developers
- Mentor and coach developers, provide objectives and give development feedback on a regular basis
- Define and tailor a proportionate software development process. Ensure that software delivered is of an appropriate level of quality assurance.
- Escalate as required, seek more senior subject matter expertise where required
All team members will:
- Generate and investigate ideas for concept demonstrators, down selecting based upon mathematical analysis/modelling.
- Develop and test software that will contribute to the concept demonstrators and trials
- Contribute to mission requirements and CONOPs as required
- Embrace effective Agile ways of working.
- Collaborate within a cross-functional team
- Work autonomously, but proactively seek review and support.
- Demonstrate awareness of progress and articulation of next steps
- Contribute to project records and backlog
- Have an aptitude and desire for complex problem solving.
Successful applicants will have coverage of the following skills:
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Relevant technical background in a numerate discipline, engineering, physics, maths, computer science.
- RF activities
- Wireless Communications and Digital Signal Processing
- Awareness of signal analysis, demodulation, and PNT/Geolocation techniques.
- Python, MATLAB, C++ for modelling
- C++ for implementation
- Software Engineering
- Linux Desirable: embedded Linux + ARM architecture
- Version control e.g. Git
- Workflow / delivery tools - e.g. Atlassian Bitbucket, JIRA, Confluence
- Desirable: Cloud, Containerisation
- Desirable: Experience working in fields related to space and remote sensing - e.g. earth observation, satellite communications.
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.