National Grid is hiring Safety Supervisor for our Transgas organization in Lowell, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The position of Safety Supervisor reports to the Safety Director and will be an Onsite role. The incumbent is responsible for the support of safety policies and programs in compliance with all applicable safety regulations, maintenance of the safety and compliance files, support of the drug and alcohol testing program, driver recruitment and training, safety training for all Transgas employees, investigation of all accidents and injuries, and the follow-up, coaching, and discipline related to safety and compliance. The individual must possess a working knowledge of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations 49 CFR §40, and §300-399. A candidate shall Develop and maintain Smith System skills including word for word (the How, What Does It Do for You, and Key Phrase), ability to fully explain the Smith Keys, and demonstrate an ability to pull relevant demonstrations from the current driving scene to reinforce the explanation of the key. Proficiency in using the Ten Point Commentary during driver observation is required. This position supports the hiring process of union employees.
- Adherence, implementation and updating of safe operating policies and procedures.
- Ensuring the best possible overall safety record
- Ensuring full compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and OHSA rules and regulations and company policies and procedures
- Accurate and timely maintenance of all driver, equipment, operating, and safety records.
- Maintaining effective employee recognition, training, accident, and injury prevention programs
- Support the investigation of all accidents involving company vehicles and personnel for preventability or non-preventability.
- Awareness of process safety culture; the importance of safety culture and need to periodically measure and monitor it. A working knowledge of the Risk control Standards
- Systems and Resources
- PeopleNet ELD
- Lytx DriveCam program
- TGMS TMS Software
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Emergency Response Guidebook
- Hazardous Materials Compliance book
- The FMCSA Safety Measurement System (SMS)
- FMCSA and PHMSA permitting
- A minimum of 1-3 years transportation safety management experience
- A valid CDL-A with HM and Tanker endorsements and a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate is required.
- Smith System competency with Smith training experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the trucking and utility industry
- Familiar with applicable rules and regulations affecting the trucking and hazardous material industry.
- Excellent supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills
- Capable of developing and implementing company safety programs
- Associate degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- Valid drivers licence requred
$86,000 - $96,900 a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.