Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
IT and Digital works in a harmonised partnership with the National Grid group of diverse energy businesses to deliver technology which revolutionises the way we operate. As we lead the charge towards a carbon-free future, our teams are embracing disruptive changes in our industry by working with Agile methodologies and adopting Digital mindsets to drive efficiency and bring new capabilities for our internal and external customers.
Our work here is critical. National Grid moves energy to millions of homes and businesses in the UK and US and the technology we utilise to complete that task is down to us. The successful applicant for this position will be an integral contributor towards this goal and we will support your professional development as part of our multi-cultural, customer-centric global team. Come and join us on this incredible journey, We need you!
We want to find an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented Application Development Director to help us develop and evolve our experiences and capabilities related to gas services for external customers, internal customers capabilities and regulatory stakeholders including Enterprise Asset Management.
These capabilities will allow us to provide an always improving experience to our customers while reducing our costs to serve them.
You'll be responsible for the well-managed execution of prioritized experiences, orchestrating and supporting technical resources in efficient, impactful product delivery. If you yearn to be innovative, contribute new ideas, and play a critical part in the US Software Engineering organization, we want to hear from you!
What you'll do
- Transform National Grid strategies into plans and goals as it relates to Enterprise Asset Management for the next 18 to 24 months
- Mobilize and encourage the team(s), establish the specific plans, projects and objectives needed to accomplish these goals and ensure their attainment
- Proactively mentor and train subordinates to continually improve services and support
- Make decisions regarding their organization, establish the structure of the unit and its internal processes, defining and ensuring quality standards
- Define metrics to track impact and drive internal process improvements
- Partner with and integrates across other areas of IT, working with other areas, resolving conflicts, managing competing priorities, to provide a complete solution
- Provide day-to-day activity oversight, and quality assurance for tasks
- Apply critical and creative thinking to delivery challenges, encouraging team collaboration to problem solve
- Identify, oversee and manage vendors/external partners contributing to product delivery, including commercial negotiations
- Ensure National Grid technical delivery standards are met
- Manage risks and develop effective mitigation approaches
- Provide timely and clear communication of planning, project status, issues, and risks to stakeholders
- Hire and manage supporting staff as appropriate
- Foster a one-team culture across functions, driving the values of ownership, collaboration, and empathy
What you'll need
- Proficiency in Enterprise Asset Management software configuration, application development, and maintenance
- 10+ years of people management and software engineering management experience
- 5+ years managing vendors/external partners to drive product delivery.
- A strong understanding of agile development methodologies and the product development lifecycle
- Experience with SOX and auditing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The capacity for self-motivation, independent initiative and creative problem-solving
- The ability to manage time and schedules to meet deadlines.
It would be awesome if you had
- IBM’s Maximo software solution version 7.6+ experience
- Experience leading IT teams as part of a large multi-year, business-critical technology program
- Familiarity with SAP, ESRI, and Salesforce integrations with Maximo is a huge plus
- Utility industry experience
- Utility Asset Management experience
- Engineering experience
- Data analytics experience
- Digital transformation experience
What you'll get
- Consistent growth potential through company leadership programs
- Competitive compensation package including robust benefits with a yearly bonus
- Numerous wellness programs
- A multitude of company-endorsed community programs to participate in
Are you the right fit for this exciting role? You want to learn more about the position and National Grid's ambitious Digital Transformation? Then let's chat!
Our organization follows a hybrid work structure in our service territory (NY & MA and adjacent states) where employees can work remotely or from the office, as needed. Working from the office is encouraged when working on tasks that require a high degree of collaboration. We work with our employees to foster a work schedule that fits your flexible schedule.
At National Grid, we keep the lights on and homes warm. But it’s so much more than that. We keep people connected and society moving. This is no easy feat, and it takes all of us. But National Grid supplies us with the environment to make it happen. As we generate momentum in the energy transition for all, we don’t plan on leaving any of our customers in the dark. But we aren’t looking for external recognition – we already what we do is vital. We’re building a clean, fair and affordable energy future.
$165,000 - $233,000 a year
Please be advised that due to the nature of this position, incumbents are subject to federal Drug & Alcohol safety regulations governing US Department of Transportation ("DOT") covered positions, including the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Pipeline Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA). As such, the Company’s testing programs and policies regarding the use of federally prohibited drugs or alcohol, for recreational or medical purposes, will remain in effect for these safety-sensitive, DOT covered positions.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.