National Grid is seeking a Principal Analyst within its NY Utility of Future team to help deliver on critical “strategy activation” projects for the ongoing transformation towards the future of Electric in NY. The role is based in the National Grid NY business and is open to candidates who are based out of New York, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our businesses.
The position reports directly to the Director, Future of Electric, NY. In this role, the Principal analyst will enjoy extraordinary exposure to the senior leaders in National Grid Plc, working on diverse, challenging, and interesting problems to address highest priority issues. This will involve applying strategic frameworks and concepts to solve complex business problems, supporting project execution and change management of major business initiatives, all linked to the transformation of transport. The successful candidate will become a part of a high caliber team, consisting of experienced leaders from within National Grid and from leading external management consulting firms. This role offers excellent career development opportunities at National Grid, growing within the NY Utility of Future team or expanding into other functions and business units.
Some travel will be required to National Grid’s offices and operational locations within New York. While travel may fluctuate depending on assignments, it is estimated to average 10-15% of overall time.
- Translate high-level corporate strategy and commitments on the “future of electric” into strategic plans and roadmaps for the NY business and provide planning support for tactical activities such as changes to investment programs, new talent capabilities, and planning agendas.
- Work closely with Customer, Electric Asset Management and Planning teams, Clean Energy Development teams, NG fleet and other Business teams on developing programs and pilots.
- Provided support and analysis for rate case proposals, and energy policy priorities for external influence, etc.
- Work closely with US Strategy, Regulatory Strategy, Corporate Affairs, and Change Management on internal and external influence for “future of electric”.
- Support, track, and provide analysis to the NY Business to meet National Grid’s electric related targets for 2030 and beyond. This includes establishing a roadmap, scorecard, and stakeholder management plan.
- Stay informed on the latest relevant industry developments and represent National Grid in relevant industry and public forums.
- Support the Future of Electric Director by providing business intelligence analytical support and creating materials for various governance meetings – Strategy and performance boards, and steering committees.
- Create presentations that “tell a story” for assigned workstreams, and deliver such stories and presentations to business leaders across multiple areas of the company
- Provide further insight into “Future of Electric” strategy by identifying critical questions and performing ad-hoc analysis.
- Support tracking and stakeholder alignment on pilot ideas and provide appropriate support and analysis.
- Strong interpersonal skills able to build relationships quickly and to influence at all levels of the organization and the program
- Critical thinking and problem solving – Needs to be able to draw sound conclusions from information and various data sources, quickly separating relevant information to solve specific business problems
- Organizational / Project Management skills with proven experience of delivering quality outcomes, on time and with full transparency of risks, issues, and Assumptions
- Good business acumen with appreciation of the day-to-day business challenges of the National Grid NY business
- Self-starter, able to work well with others, and on own initiative, to successfully drive through ambiguity
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5-8 years’ experience in the energy industry or management consulting that includes strategy development and execution or transformation initiatives/programs and/or management/change management.
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity; able to quickly break down problems in a structured manner and prioritize required analysis
- Experience conducting presentations to senior leadership/stakeholders
- Familiarity with decarbonization pathways, clean energy policies, and transportation industry
- Understanding of current trends within transportation sector and electric utility industry, particularly regarding electric vehicle adoption and charging infrastructure
- Change and Project Management experience a plus
- Strong MS Office skills
- Valid driver's license
$145k - $175k a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.