Superpowered. Meaningful work. Human impact. A story we’re proud to tell. This is what matters to us at National Grid. In a world of complexity and unanswered questions, there is one thing we’re certain about: the power of our people.
Join us in our goal to deliver 100% fossil-free heat to our customers by 2050!
National Grid is hiring a Senior Estimator for our Electric Project Estimating department in Northboro, MA.
Project Estimating plays a critical role in shaping National Grid’s short and long term capital budgets for the core lines of businesses within the US. By working closely with numerous other departments including Engineering, Project Management, and Construction, our highly collaborative team develops detailed, defensible estimates using nationally recognized estimating techniques. Our unique position within the business allows us to participate as core project team members in challenging and interesting capital projects. We are constantly seeking ways to improve our own performance through team-developed department initiatives as well as analysis of actual spend to our estimates upon project completion
What You'll Do
- Prepare accurate and timely construction estimates based on engineering designs, drawings, site visits, contractual agreements, materials, permitting, environmental, construction labor, and equipment. Incorporate solid understanding of the utility construction process into complex estimates.
- Determine understanding of risk associated with large capital projects and the application of contingency. This would include application and development of risk registers, Quantitative Risk Assessments, and/or Monte Carlo Simulations.
- Monitor year-on-year accuracy of estimated costs and challenge business processes in order to ensure National Grid is compliant with applicable regulations and deliver projects on budget. Perform planned versus actual evaluations upon project completions for costs and schedule. Document findings and develop improvement plans based on the analysis.
- Work independently to manage schedule and workload in order to meet need dates.
- Challenge existing ways of working and continuously seek ways to do things better in order to drive greater efficiencies within assigned area.
- Consult and collaborate with vendors, personnel in other departments or engineers to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Train new Estimators entering department on Policies, Procedures and Estimating Software
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management or closely related field and 1+ years of relevant work experience OR an Associate’s degree with 3+ years of relevant work experience preferred
- In lieu of a degree, high school diploma or equivalent and 5+ years of relevant work experience and training required
- Relevant work experience includes work on electric utility construction projects, utility project management, risk management and/or estimating experience
- Proven experience working with Sage or other estimating software applications required
- Proficiency with MS Office computer skills including Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word required
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills required
- Proven interpersonal and written communication skills required
- Valid driver's license required
Rewarding work and a collaborative, team-oriented culture are just the beginning. Working at National Grid affords eligible non-union employees a vast array of benefits, including medical, dental, life, 401K, paid holidays and vacation, just to start. Review our digital benefit guide at ngbenefitslivebrighter.com for full details and descriptions.
$102,000 - $120,000 a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.