About the role
We are looking for experienced System Engineers and Associate System Engineers to join our growing UK Physical Security Team and support the development and management of critical network and server infrastructure systems across a multi-site architecture. These positions are based out of our Reading offices with travel to operational sites occasionally.
If you have the ability to develop and build on an existing foundation, a drive for delivering excellent customer service and a passion for being at the heart of a clean energy future, then please apply today!
Key accountabilities will include:
- Maintain systems and network infrastructure operations in a highly sensitive and critical environment.
- Review system and technical engineering designs prior to installation works, highlighting any technical, functional or compatibility issues.
- Assist technology partners on best practice and provide guidance on the correct configuration for both hardware and software installations.
- Support the commissioning, configuration, servicing, and maintenance of the installed security systems across multiple sites and locations.
- Ensure all activities are completed in accordance with relevant industry and engineering standards, and in compliance with company health and safety procedures.
- Maintain a strong and effective working relationship with all stakeholders (internal and external).
- Support project meetings and planning sessions to ensure that requirements are understood, and activities are delivered in accordance with specified requirements, and to agreed timescales.
- Ensure robust project handover, including the completion of all relevant documents and records, including asset registers and network topologies.
- Providing second line support for networks and applications.
- Maintenance of a national configuration management system.
To succeed in this position you will be a proactive, skilled multi-tasker with a keen eye for detail. You will have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment and possess strong communication and organisational skills, ability to effectively collaborate with various internal and external stakeholders. Self-motivated, you will have a strong appetite for personal development and a willingness to learn bespoke security applications and systems.
Ideally, you will possess experience in some of the following areas:
- Design, configuration, and maintenance of live mission critical systems and networks.
- Assessment of network infrastructure requirements and associated cyber security controls.
- Review, creation, and revision of complex network topology diagrams.
- Implementation of Active Directory over multiple locations, managing any bandwidth limitations.
- Operating within the command line interface for configuration and troubleshooting activities.
- Installations and management of Windows Server Core via command line and Powershell.
- Managing and troubleshooting Group Policy Objects, including software deployment, desktop security and Group Policy Preferences.
- Virtualisation using Hyper V and Failover Clustering.
- Patching Windows operating systems via WSUS.
- Utilising troubleshooting methodologies, and the identification and implementation of process/ technology improvements.
Advantageous experience would include:
- Experience with Synectics Synergy software.
- Conversant in SQL.
- Appreciation of CCTV applications, Access Control and Security Systems and integrations.
- Working knowledge of security platforms such as FireEye, SolarWinds, Tanium, etc.
- Certified to Windows MCSA Server Infrastructure, or equivalent experience.
- Certified to Cisco CCNA, or equivalent experience
- Full UK Drivers License
What we can offer you
- A competitive salary between £43,250 - £65,000 dependent on capability
- Annual Performance Bonus
- 26 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays
- A competitive contributory pension scheme where we will double match your contribution to a maximum company contribution of 12%, giving a total of 18% to your pension pot
- Life Insurance at 10 times basic salary
- There is the option to buy discounted National Grid shares
- We will pay for one professional membership subscription
- Access to a number of flexible benefits such as a share incentive plan, salary sacrifice car and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity giving to name a few
We encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible. National Grid’s recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
Closing Date for Applications: 30 September 2023
Location: Reading/Wokingham (please note this is a site-based role)
Number of vacancies: 3 positions across Grades: L6 & L7 /Ops & Eng Job Family
Hiring Manager: John Francis
Global IT /Permanent
At National Grid, we work towards the highest standards in everything we do, including how we support, value and develop our people. Our aim is to encourage and support employees to thrive and be the best they can be. We celebrate the difference people can bring into our organisation, and welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and offer flexible and tailored support, at home and in the office.
Our goal is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, the innovation from diverse teams & perspectives and business need. We are committed to building a workforce so we can represent the communities we serve and have a working environment in which each individual feels valued, respected, fairly treated, and able to reach their full potential.