BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 10 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
We are recruiting for additional Automation Test Engineers to work on projects for Central Government customers. The ability to quickly deliver quality applications is fundamental to everything we do. We develop and integrate applications of national importance, which really do make this country a better, safer place to live. We'll give you the chance to work on sophisticated projects. You'll enable us to deliver high-quality applications quickly via automation providing continuous feedback.Key Responsibilities
You will be embedded within one of our scrum teams, where you'll be required to create Automation Tests that support the ongoing development of products and projects; working alongside developers to influence the design of testable code and platform engineers to integrate your tests into cloud hosted Continuous Delivery pipelines. The choice of tools, technologies and approaches will be wide and varied and you'll have a chance to influence the direction of automation testing.
Essential skills and knowledge
- Analysing test requirements, designing and producing re-usable test scripts and specifying requirements for environments, data and test tools required
- Overcoming development obstacles to deliver quality testing on time
- Reviewing test artefacts produced by peers
- Reviewing test results and modify the test suite as necessary
- Defining and creating test cases from the analysis of non-functional specifications
- Designing and executing functional and performance test scripts, and security tests
- Analysing requirements for test automation, designing and implementing the technical solution regardless of approach
- Reviewing and assuring the scope and execution of Unit Tests and Integration Tests performed by Software Engineers
- Working closely with other Engineers to understand how their work will be, or has been, tested such that the Software Engineers gains insight into the tester's interpretation of the requirements
- Execute Session-based (Exploratory) Testing where scripted testing is inappropriate or requires augmentation
Ideal but not essential skills and knowledge
- Demonstrable experience using at least one automation test tool
- Demonstrable experience in the use of at least one development language
- Experience of investigating root causes of functional issues and providing corrective actions - either individually or in conjunction with the development team
- Use of source code management tools (e.g. Git)
- Proven experience of automated testing, web applications and web services, but all automation experience is relevant
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Experience in REST, XML, JSON, Parquet, Postman, SQL, Oracle, ElasticSearch, Kibana, MongoDB, Jenkins (for CI/CD)
- Experience in writing Java
- Experience in using and interacting with Windows / Linux / Web Services / Databases
- Experience using docker and container runtime platforms such as Kubenetes
- Experience of working in an Agile environment (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, SAFe, XP)
- Experience using defect and test management tools (e.g. JIRA) to track defects and manage tests
- Experience working with mocks (e.g. WireMock)
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.