National Grid touches the lives of almost everyone in the UK, with an energy network that stretches across the Atlantic. We’re an international team, and our work underpins the lives of millions of people. We are working hard to create value for people today – and shape the future of energy tomorrow.
In the UK, we don’t generate or sell energy – we join the dots to get energy from A to B. From making a cup of tea in the morning, to keeping the lights on in hospitals, our electricity network puts power in the hands of people. Without it, the world as we know it would grind to a halt.
The world of energy is changing beyond recognition. Working at National Grid, you won’t just be touching the lives of almost everyone in the UK – you’ll be shaping the way we use and consume energy for generations to come.
About the role
National Grid is building a new team, Digital Acceleration (DA), to provide best-in-class digital delivery. DA will build digital products that create strategic value in a fast and agile manner. In addition to creating digital products, the DA will act as talent incubators that will disseminate digital capabilities and culture within National Gri
What you'll do
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, designers, and strategists to deliver impactful solutions to design challenges
- Collaborate with team and stakeholders to explore solutions and develop conceptual designs to test and refine with users both internally and externally
- Bring the research to life through customer journeys, system maps, user stories, scenarios, infographics and service models
- Communicate visually through storyboards, wireframes, interactive prototypes and final design concepts
- Use divergent design thinking techniques to develop products, services and/or physical connected form-factors
- Facilitate ideation sessions and support workshop preparation as well as immersion sessions with multi-disciplinary teams
- Bring human centered design to the rest of the organization through facilitation and collaboration
- Ability to iterate designs and solutions efficiently and intelligently
- Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core/new functions and features
- Liaise regularly with clients to ensure that designs meet their requirements and core business objectives
- Converge innovative ideas to a set of digital and physical products or services in cooperation with fellow Designers, Product Managers, and Software Engineers
What you'll need
- Undergraduate degree in Design, Engineering, or equivalent qualification
- 5+ years of relevant experience in user experience design, digital products design, usability testing, future visioning, and strategy development
- A portfolio of work demonstrating strong human-centered design capabilities across a diverse range of projects
- Positive attitude and an intrinsic motivation to deliver the highest quality work supported by user data and evidence
- Strong interpersonal and teaming skills, empathy, and willingness to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative user research software platforms such as UserTesting, UserZoom or Optimal workshop
- Experience in start-ups, tech company and/or agile environment is a plus
- Copywriting, branding or visual implementation skills are a plus
What you'll get
- A competitive salary between £50,000 - £65,000
- 28 days holiday, plus eight statutory days – and options to buy extra holiday days
- Pension and share option scheme
- Close mentorship and regular feedback
- You will also have access to a number of other flexible benefits such as share incentive plan, and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity giving name to a few.