National Grid touches the lives of almost everyone in the UK, with an energy network that stretches across the Atlantic. We’re an international team, and our work underpins the lives of millions of people. We are working hard to create value for people today – and shape the future of energy tomorrow.
In the UK, we don’t generate or sell energy – we join the dots to get energy from A to B. From making a cup of tea in the morning, to keeping the lights on in hospitals, our electricity network puts power in the hands of people. Without it, the world as we know it would grind to a halt.
The world of energy is changing beyond recognition. Working at National Grid, you won’t just be touching the lives of almost everyone in the UK – you’ll be shaping the way we use and consume energy for generations to come.
About the role
National Grid is building a new team, Digital Acceleration (DA), to provide best-in-class digital delivery. DA will build digital products that create strategic value in a fast and agile manner. In addition to creating digital products, the DA will act as talent incubators that will disseminate digital capabilities and culture within National Grid.
The UI Designer will play a vital role in designing our products and interfaces. You will be involved in the product development process from ideation to launch, working closely with senior product designers, UX researchers, product owners/managers, and developers to deliver the best digital experience for the customer.
What you'll do
- Partner with senior product designers and UX researcher to understand the desired product outcomes and how the end user will interact with the platforms/products.
- Taking the problem statements and insights from UX researchers and translating those into concepts and low-fidelity designs.
- Work collaboratively with other designers, product design and development teams, business analysts, and engineers
- Develop and ensure visual consistency across our portfolio of products and platforms.
- Execute the final visual design stage and produce full specification for hand-off to engineering.
- Present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders.
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards and develop standard UI components and style guides.
- Work with design team to ensure AA accessibility standards are adhered to and be able to assess the usability of web and mobile interactions.
- Iterate designs based on user feedback.
- Support of design implementation by developers (understanding of technical issues and constraints)
What you'll need
- Undergraduate degree in Design, Engineering, or equivalent qualification
- 3+ years of relevant experience in user experience design, digital products design, usability testing, future visioning, and strategy development
- Proven and demonstrable UI experience design skills with a strong portfolio.
- Solid experience in creating high-fidelity designs specifications as part of hand-off to engineering teams.
- Proficiency in Figma preferably as well as Adobe XD or other industry-standard design software
- Experience working in a fast-paced professional service environment and managing ambiguity, working autonomously, keeping organised, and multitasking.
- Experience in the development and maintenance of design systems and pattern libraries
- Strong stakeholder management skills including the ability to explain designs to senior audiences.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Experience working in an Agile / Scrum development process.
What you'll get
- A competitive salary between £40,000 - £50,000
- 25 days holiday, plus eight statutory days – and options to buy extra holiday days
- Pension and share option scheme
- Close mentorship and regular feedback
- You will also have access to a number of other flexible benefits such as share incentive plan, and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity giving name to a few.