About National Grid
National Grid touches the lives of almost everyone in the UK, with an energy network that stretches across the Atlantic. We’re an international team, and our work underpins the lives of millions of people. We are working hard to create value for people today – and shape the future of energy tomorrow.
In the UK, we don’t generate or sell energy – we join the dots to get energy from A to B. From making a cup of tea in the morning, to keeping the lights on in hospitals, our electricity network puts power in the hands of people. Without it, the world as we know it would grind to a halt.
The world of energy is changing beyond recognition. Working at National Grid, you won’t just be touching the lives of almost everyone in the UK – you’ll be shaping the way we use and consume energy for generations to come.
National Grid is building a new team, Digital Acceleration (DA), to provide best-in-class digital delivery. DA will build digital products that create strategic value in a fast and agile manner. In addition to creating digital products, the DA will act as talent incubators that will disseminate digital capabilities and culture within National Grid.
· Partner with product management, engineering, and business operations teams to provide the best outcomes for our users
· Ensure quality delivery by identifying opportunities for process improvement and standardization that will assist with efficiency while maintaining quality for our users
· Bring strategic thinking and business acumen to facilitate discussions with our users
· Lead and create quantitative and qualitative research strategies and design investigations to understand customer behaviors, pain points, needs and aspirations to define the value and scope of new and existing products.
· Provide insights and user requirements and how they map to business outcomes that inform design concepts and product feature values.
· You have experience of, and can help teams adopt, a wide range of user research methods. You can plan user research for services with challenging user needs and complex user journeys. You can advise colleagues on the choice and application of research methods to assure best practice.
· You understand what problem the team is trying to solve. You can align user research activities to inform decision making and action.
· Partner with other Senior UX researchers to develop the NG wide community of practice
· Mentoring other UX researchers and coaching Product Designers to support research [JS2] [WO3]
· Able to work with squad and stakeholders to create service design blueprints
· Undergraduate degree in Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, Social Science or a related field, or the equivalent in years of professional experience
· Minimum 5 years of experience in a customer-facing, enterprise-level digital agency or consulting firm conducting hands-on user research
· Command over a broad set of quantitative and qualitative user-centered design research methods (i.e., usability testing, concept testing, usability benchmarking, ethnography, longitudinal studies, journey mapping, personas, research roadmaps, diary studies, information architecture methods, etc.)
· Strategic and creative thinker with a data-driven mindset and excellent communication skills
· Experience working in a fast-paced professional service environment and managing ambiguity, working autonomously, keeping organized, and multitasking
· Experience with qualitative and quantitative user research software platforms such as UserTesting, UserZoom or Optimal workshop a plus