MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.
Salary: Circa £55,000 depending on experience
What we can offer you:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Annual salary review
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
As a Principal System Engineer within the newly formed Future Products department; part of Missile Design UK: Emerging Portfolio & Capability function, you will be assigned to take on a variety of roles in support of MBDA's Vision 2040. Each role will work into either Future Systems or Tactical Strike Missile - New Business areas.
Early phase design cycle skills combining core System Engineering, Business development, Customer & User engagements, technology applicability and new functionality areas.
Road-mapping / Requirement elicitation, bidding for new work, understanding capability, corralling multi-disciplinary teams.
Develop & nurture new skills for Early Phase activities. This could include using System Design tools, such as DOORS for requirements, Rhapsody for Model
Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and Design Maturity Assessments.
Within the Department, you'll tackle a variety of activities to develop Weapon & Missile Concepts, support bids, understand technology roadmaps and deploy new working practices, such as Agile.
Support multiple products across future systems and new business areas. Current projects supported:
- Future Combat Air System / Tempest;
- Future Air Defence/Dominance e.g. next generation Air-to-air and Surface-to-air systems;
- Tactical Strike New Business
- Future Strike & Concepting;
- Land Precision Strike & Future Battlefield Capabilities;
- Complex Weapons – Innovation & Technology Partnership with France.
What are we looking for?
- The confidence to embrace the uncertain nature of early concept development and technologies to progress towards defining solutions and system concepts;
- Good Systems Engineering knowledge, alongside the ability and desire to test new techniques and use new methods to develop concepts and complete system trade studies;
- Experience of weapons systems and missile design, including systems trade studies is beneficial;
- A solid understanding of weapon systems, platforms and missile sub-systems;
- To be able to negotiate and influence a broad range of internal and external partners to secure the right outcome;
- Experience of planning and task management important;
- Knowledge of DOORS, Rhapsody and systems design analysis tools e.g. Pugh Matrix / QFD / etc, beneficial.
What's in it for you?
Typical activities include:
- This is a highly dynamic role with lots of joint working across our business including the other key functions (Aerodynamics, Guidance, Control & Navigation, Mechanical Design)as well as key business elements, such as Sales & Business Development and Strategy.
- Work with new technology to develop brand new capabilities and designs;
- This is a new department, so there is significant opportunity to both shape it and grow with it;
- The role will develop, including functionally within Systems Engineering, with a broad skill base, across technology and systems engineering processes;
- The outcomes you deliver will directly influence MBDA's future solutions to our Customers;
- Opportunity to lead small and multidiscipline teams in order to achieve the goals of the projects;
- Support the development of the systems engineering concepting skills within Future Products.
- Core Systems Engineering activities including:
- Exploring Customer needs to develop and elicit requirements;
- Support and influence the design of new concepts, to the refine them with a mutli-discipline team;
- Concept capability analysis and competitor product technical performance analysis;
- Trade Studies and assessment.
- Develop and deploy systems engineering methods and technical authorisation;
- Technical bid generation and support to contract award;
- Supporting customer focused Experiments, using a wide range of techniques and tools including war-games and synthetic environments;
- Supporting future weapon system planning and product roadmaps;
- Exploiting and influencing Research and Technology activities.
Join a great team!
- This is a growing team shaping the way MBDA develops concepts for our Customers;
- There is a breadth of experience to draw upon through the Future Products cohort;
- The opportunity to influence a new approach to Future Products systems engineering department;
- There will be significant exposure to a wide set of Future Systems activities and higher partners, which also shape the business.
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.