MBDA Missile Systems - Together. For the future of defence
Salary: up to £48K dependent on experience + bonus + benefits
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Sea Viper is currently going through its next phase of life with major upgrades proposed to be rolled out over the coming years. In support of this, a key role has arisen within the Sea Viper system design team to support the delivery of the next phases of the new business programmes.
A system design & verification engineer role has opened up in the team to support key elements for the first increment of the major capability update to the system. The role would be reporting to the system design engineering manager for the project. This is a high profile programme within MBDA and MOD, and as part of the team there are opportunities for engagement with senior partners in delivering the role.
The programme is just completing a two-year pre-development phase study to mature and de-risk the weapon system design to provide a brand-new capability. The programme is now going through a major bid activity for the next phases of development, with contract award expected this year.
A broad range of responsibilities include:
What we're looking for
- Supporting the development of a coherent weapon system design baseline, including supporting the identification and progression of design queries, and ensuring a coherent and consistent system design alongside the wider evolving Sea Viper design;
- Supporting the development of a qualification strategy;
- Supporting the progression of the project requirement baseline, progressing flow-down and supporting the agreement of sub-system requirements;
- Supporting the progression of the key interface baselines, including the data exchange specifications between Sea Viper C2 and the combat management system and radar, requiring engagement with the C2, CMS and radar design authorities;
- Supporting the progression of technical analyses and investigations of system-level issues and opportunities, including conduct of trade-off studies, and any key supporting system design studies required to de-risk the system design;
- Supporting key design reviews;
- Progressing the system design verification and validation activities for the project;
- Opportunities to form relationships, both at a customer interaction level and the industry partners and suppliers, including supporting relevant customer working groups;
- Engagement with sub-system design authorities.
- Systems engineering background with some awareness and experience of different phases of the CADMID cycle from concept to manufacture, including generating TRSs, interface definitions, V&V planning, trials planning, qualification evidence generation and collation, generation of certification documents;
- Awareness of MBDA's system engineering processes;
- Awareness of weapon system design concepts; some experience working on air defence systems desirable; some knowledge of C2, missile and radar design desirable;
- Ability to communicate with peers across MBDA and members of the partner community desirable;
- Ability to produce concise, coherent and detailed technical reports of a high quality;
- Ability to work autonomously and proactively is desirable;
- Ability to work confidently in the face of ambiguity and multiple conflicting priorities to be able to identify the priority tasks is desirable.
What's in it for you?
Join a great team!
- You would be one of the engineers responsible for delivering a high profile and key capability to the Royal Navy;
- The role covers a wide range of engineering experience, including weapon system, C2, radar and missile design; you would be working at the cutting edge of weapon system design;
- The wider Sea Viper programme works in a dynamic environment with its customer, with a host of different day-to-day activities;
- MBDA offers flexible working between the office and home, agreed as required and to meet the business needs.
You would be joining a well-established team with a great team spirit; the team has a wealth of experience that has been built up over the many years of Sea Viper development and in-service support, providing a great opportunity to develop your knowledge and experience of the area defence domain, with everyone more than willing to share knowledge with others.
The combined value of current and expected contract activities across the wider Sea Viper programme are set to propel Sea Viper to become one the most important programmes in the company over the coming years, so also presents a great opportunity for senior exposure.
The combination of a commitment to support the in-service legacy capability as well as progressing a host of development contracts and ongoing bid activity means there is never a dull day on Sea Viper!What to expect:
We offer opportunities for career progression, paid overtime (subject to level), bonus scheme, comprehensive pension package, annual salary review, collaborative working environment and excellent on-site facilities.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve appropriate clearances!