We are looking for driven and ambitious payroll professionals looking to develop a challenging and stimulating career. The Manager in the Payroll Operate services will pay a strategic role in supporting the Payroll leader and GCR leadership in executing the vision for the build out of service delivery functions for UK Payroll Operate. The role is to provide subject matter expertise, project leadership, and direction to UK Payroll operation teams ot ensure our Payroll service is fit for purpose. The role also supports the initiatives of the Global Payroll engagements and responsibility for service delivery support in conjunction with EY's engagement leaders and partners globally.
Proven capabilities to create multi-functional streams and mentor high performing teams, and provide outstanding contribution/support to consulting with engagement teams on all compliance and reporting activities is desired. Your key responsibilities
- Ensuring that the payrolls are processed each pay period in a timely and accurate manner
- Advising on any technical payroll matters arising, such as Termination payments, payrolling of benefits, statutory payments, Stock transactions, Apprenticeship Levy
- Understanding and advising teams of how the technical payroll aspects relate to the payroll software in operations
- Developing and advising bespoke financial reports such as general ledger reports
- Ensuring Full Payment Submissions and Employer Payment Summaries are made to HMRC on a timely basis
- Approving BACS files for the payment of employees
- Ensuring team compliance with the firm’s cash handling requirements
- Auto- Enrolment compliance
- Undertaking in-depth reviews of the work carried out by the payroll team prior to client delivery
- Understanding of and complying with Quality and Risk requirements for professional service firms
- Preparing payroll proposals from documents to delivery including attendance at oral presentations
- Dealing with the global team to coordinate payroll offerings and proposals
- Set up and attending client meetings when required and developing KPI’s
- Developing additional services for payroll clients
- Define standards, processes and controls that ensure Operations and Client deliverables are accurate, timely and in line with agreed fees.
Skills and attributes for success
- Transition of new payroll clients and project plans
- Dealing with client and employee queries in relation to payroll operations and ensuring that escalation procedures are in place.
- Managing team workloads and allocations
- HMRC audit assistance
- Counselling of staff including annual and midyear reviews
- Preparing fee and budget details.
- Ensuring that the team are achieving targets for internal finance purposes
- Work with internal teams to ensure effective procedures are established for setup of internal and external systems, tools, and processes as part of the client transition process.
To qualify for the role, you must have
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Demonstrable good project management and time management skills - balance multiple priorities by considering importance, level of urgency and other dependencies.
- A desire to take on responsibility
- A real desire to develop your technical skills by working within our centre of excellence
- Assertive and proactive approach to the delivery / implementation of client engagements
- Ability to network effectively within large organisations and build relationships with individuals and clients
- Ability to utilise research effectively and explain complex subjects in a clear manner
- Ability to build strong client relationships and committed to delivery of exceptional client service
What we look for
- Over 8+ years’ relevant hands-on experience in Payroll
- Payroll qualifications e.g., Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals (CIPP)
- End-to-end Pa y roll kno w ledge and experience is a must within a high-volume payroll business.
- Expertise in understanding payroll compliance, rules, and legislations in a multi-country environment and with up-to-date knowledge
- Knowledge and hands on experience in Statutory payments/deductions and Pension contributions and their management
- Thorough understanding of upstream and do w nstream processes that impact Pa y roll.
- Good understanding of payroll compliance including AE, RTI, Apprenticeship Levy
- Familiar with payroll software, preferably including Iris
- Good IT skills including experience of working with excel documents
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good workload management skills and an ability to work to deadlines
- Experience of managing a team
- Experience of multiple and large client payroll processing
- Payroll project experience
- Preferably have exposure to managed multi-country Payroll cycle in a client service environment.
What working at EY offers
- Flexibilit y and good team working skills
- Strong in both w ritten and verbal communications
- Highl y organised with excellent customer service skills and comfortable in a client facing environment
- Strong IT skills and can adapt quickl y to w orking with ne w technologies
- Proven capabilit y to define, document and rollout procedures and processes across multiple departments and/or groups.
- Abilit y to effectivel y engage with prospects or clients to properl y position the value and scope of services provided b y the team.
- Ability to work with internal/external customers globally and/or virtual basis
- Ability to develop standard methodology, tools, and templates.
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with MyRewards you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible. Join us in building a better working world. Apply now.