The Cross-Domain product development and solutions team is a close knit engineering team within BAE Systems - Digital Intelligence operating in a dynamic market. The team is responsible for the development of world-leading network security and communication appliances that operate at multi-gigabit speeds, combining software and custom hardware. Cross-Domain customers include a variety of government departments, telecommunications and critical national infrastructure companies.What you will be doing for us:
The Technical Lead role encompasses the full software development lifecycle, from requirements capture, analysis, design, and delivery. The successful candidate will have a development background, have managed teams, be able to take responsibility for a solution, and drive the technical outcomes to meet the customer's mission needs.
This role is predominately C++/Linux focused, but a range of other languages are used where appropriate. We use Open Source where possible, 3rd Party where valuable, and custom where necessary.What background are we looking for:
Essential skills and knowledge
- Provide a focus for technical decision making, and an identifiable leader for the team and wider product area
- Bring a range of software development and delivery experience
- Understand what "good" looks like in terms of building and managing a team
- Can engage with and mentor their developers
- Is able to work with project and engineering managers to support internal business processes
- Can modify their approach, and those of their team, to meet the dynamics of a project (eg Agile, Iterative, Waterfall)
- Deep understanding of C++, Linux, multi-threading, and network technologies
- Experience in estimation, scheduling, and task breakdown (ideally in Jira or similar)
- Understand technical risk and how to make effective decisions
Essential competencies and experience
- Strong C++ and Java
- Experience of modern libraries including STL, Apache libraries (NiFi etc)
- Good grasp of networking fundamentals
- Ability and desire to learn new programming languages and technologies quickly
- Proven problem-solving and fault-finding skills
- Evidence of innovation and initiative
- Linux development experience
- Windows development experience
- Experience of scripting languages
Desirable competencies and experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence:
- Scripting languages e.g. Ruby, Python, Bash
- Knowledge of distributed version control systems
- Experience with automated build and continuous integration suites
- Understanding of low-level computing concepts
- Defect Tracking software (JIRA preferred)
- Experience planning, estimating and designing system components
- Customer facing skills
- VoIP/VTC standards
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber-crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we're constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we'll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you'll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Staying competitive in today's global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.Security Clearance
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
#AIcareersLife at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.