Systems Solution Architect
Are you passionate about working with cutting edge technology and owning the design and engineering on projects delivering solutions that are central to our customer's missions? Join BAE Systems as a Systems Engineer. We are looking for people with strong focus on network infrastructure and security architecture.
As a Systems Engineer you'll be working with our customers to own the solution design and engineering methods of their core mission applications, defining innovative solutions to problems, underpinned by robust delivery and engineering methods to deliver capabilities that are not only essential to their business, but they'll love to use. You'll never get bored, with no two projects being the same, but you'll bring your experience from other systems to each challenge to ensure our deliveries and an enduring success.
You'll enjoy working as part of a team, typically being the most senior technical person on a project working with other architects, engineers and business analysts to get the best out of the team, allowing everyone to contribute the skillsets. You will be an excellent communicator both internally within your project, as well as externally to senior customer stakeholders to facilitate decision making and co-ordinate design activities with related teams.
You'll also will be responsible for ensuring that the solution meets its functional and non-functional requirements, and the correct application of relevant technologies, processes and tool chains. You'll need to ensure that these various components and sub-systems work together both technically as well as operationally, from a customer mission perspective.
Your experience will cover software design, infrastructure, delivery methods and engineering approaches. You won't be expected to be an expert in them all, but you should know enough about each to make informed decisions on the best approach to follow for each. You'll be empowered to make decisions but will be part of a community of systems engineers and engineers to bounce ideas off of and get assurance where you need it. You will be resilient under pressure and have the ability to manage multiple assignments independently, and importantly you'll enjoy taking on a loosely defined task and using a mixture of internal and external sources to find a solution, implement it and repeat the process until the task is complete.
Not only will your team be directly making a huge impact upon the systems you work on, you'll be doing it for an organisation who makes a huge impact to the security of the UK.You will have experience in the majority of the following:
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Elaborate the requirements for the Engineering teams needed to meet the customer requirements
- Designs the specific solution to meet the customer requirements (and any derived/internal requirements)
- Awareness and application of security considerations (CIS hardening, security by design, NCSC principles)
- Awareness of Cross Domain and cloud technologies
- Experience of interacting and presenting to both internal and external stakeholders to understand, influence and shape requirements and solution approaches
- Manage solution scope externally and internally
- Ensuring the design meets key functional and in particular non-functional requirements, enabling through life scenarios of the solution to be satisfied
- Shaping and driving solution thinking for complex bids and delivery engagements
- Shaping solution designs following a structured methodology as appropriate to the project
- Overseeing the implementation of the design in collaboration with other team members such as Application and Security Architects
- Working with customer technical authorities to ensure that they have a clear understanding of architecture and design proposals at an appropriate level
- Working with Engineering teams to promote good practice in engineering methods, eg development, automation and testing
- Retaining overall ownership of solution through bid, delivery and transition into operation
- Leading estimation efforts to develop an understanding of potential solution costs and delivery timescales
- Take responsibility for the specification, flow-down and acceptance of sub-system / component requirements to internal development teams.
- Own and manage technical and solution risks as well as working to reduce and mitigate them.
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.